Our Mission, Values and Vision
We want to ensure that artists and arts organizations are informed and educated about their legal rights and responsibilities so that their practices can thrive.
Our mission is to make a stronger, more vibrant arts community in Atlantic Canada by helping remove legal barriers for artists and arts organizations.
ALIS is mandated to:
- Provide legal information and referrals to artists and arts organizations based on financial need;
- Provide workshops on legal topics to artists and arts organizations;
- Organize conferences and special events to share information and encourage networking within the arts and legal communities;
- Research and develop resources on legal topics for the general public such as plain language guides and the legal information online database;
- Provide students in law and related disciplines with opportunities to develop legal skills, network with and contribute to the Atlantic artistic community through volunteer initiatives;
- Develop legal literacy in post-secondary institutions that provide programming for arts and culture;
- Foster the development and sustainability of arts and culture activity in the Atlantic Provinces, through legal education; and
- Raise funds and generate revenue to support the activities noted above.
- Provision of affordable and accessible legal information for artists and arts organizations.
- Excellence in the quality of the information we provide.
- Voluntary service to support the community.
- Cooperation and partnership between the artistic and legal communities.
ALIS is a not-for-profit organization governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. It generates its revenue through: individual, foundation and corporate support; and through public assistance from provincial and municipal sources. It expends its funds on programming activity, marketing, and administration in the fulfillment of its mandate. The organization is committed to sustainable management of its human and financial and intellectual resources.